Best time to go to Athens Average weather of Athens, Greece
Get the perfect time to go to Athens in Greece from seasonal norms here.
When is the best time to go to Athens?
When is the best time to go to Athens? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Athens are March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October and November
- On average, the warmest months are June, July and August
- Athens has dry periods in July and August
- January is the coldest month of the year
- The rainiest months are January, February and December
- August is the best month for swimming
Annual weather in Athens
Weather details in Athens month by month
Weather and climate in Athens
- Between the months of january and march the climate is passable, but still OK. The record temperature this month is 77°F and, in march, 4 days of rain are expected.
- In the month of april the climate is favorable. The temperature rises to 68°F and it rains about 9% of the time in april.
- From may to june the climate is very good. By early evening, the temperature averages 79°F and it rains about 1.5in each month.
- Between the months of july and november the climate is good. In average, on the morning it is 59°F and, in november, 4 days of rain are expected.
- In the month of december the climate is passable, but still OK. It is for example 59°F as maximum temperature in december and it rains in december about 3.7in.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Athens
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Athens: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Athens
Find out when Athens has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Athens
- Very low season in Athens
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: January, February and December.
- Low season in Athens
The months with low numbers of tourists are: March, April and November.
- High season in Athens
The number of visitors to Athens is high in: May and October.
- Peak season in Athens
The largest number of tourists visiting Athens is during: June, July, August and September.
Figure: Visitor index for Athens month by month
Best time for low prices in Athens
Average prices of hotels in Athens month by month
Generally, December is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Athens. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, June is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Athens
A return flight between London and Athens is generally cheaper if you go in november ($ 83 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 106 more for your airline ticket to Athens if you go in august.
Average price of hiring a car in Athens
On average, it costs $ 15 per day to hire a car in Athens. This price varies by $ 15 depending on the month. In march, hiring a car costs an average of $ 8.7 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in august is $ 23.