Best time to go to Colombo Average weather of Colombo, Sri Lanka
Find the very best time to go to Colombo in Sri Lanka from average climate conditions, here.
When is the best time to go to Colombo?
When is the best time to go to Colombo? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Colombo are January, February and March
- On average, the warmest months are January, February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November and December
- The rainiest months are May, June, July and August
- The sea temperature is suitable for swimming all year round
Annual weather in Colombo
For full information about the climate and weather in Colombo a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||81°F/90°F||good weather||Colombo in january|
|February||83°F/92°F||good weather||Colombo in february|
|March||85°F/92°F||good weather||Colombo in march|
|April||85°F/90°F||tolerable weather||Colombo in april|
|May||85°F/88°F||very bad weather||Colombo in may|
|June||83°F/86°F||very bad weather||Colombo in june|
|July||83°F/85°F||very bad weather||Colombo in july|
|August||83°F/85°F||very bad weather||Colombo in august|
|September||83°F/86°F||bad weather||Colombo in september|
|October||83°F/88°F||tolerable weather||Colombo in october|
|November||83°F/88°F||tolerable weather||Colombo in november|
|December||81°F/88°F||tolerable weather||Colombo in december|
Weather and climate in Colombo
- From january to february the climate is favorable. At lunchtime, it's 90°F in average and it rains about 23% of the time in february.
- From march to april the climate is okay. It is for example 90°F as maximum temperature in april and it rains about 57% of the time in april.
- In the month of may the climate is unfavorable. By early evening, the temperature averages 83°F and it rains about 73% of the time in may.
- Between the months of june and august the climate is very unfavorable. By early evening, the temperature averages 81°F and it rains about 75% of the time in august.
- In the month of september the climate is not good. In average, on the morning it is 83°F.
- Between the months of october and december the climate is not good, but still OK. It is for example 88°F as maximum temperature in december and it rains about 9.8in each month.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Colombo
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Colombo: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Colombo
Find out when Colombo has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Colombo
- Very low season in Colombo
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: May and June.
- Low season in Colombo
The months with low numbers of tourists are: April, July, September, October and November.
- High season in Colombo
The number of visitors to Colombo is high in: January, February, March and August.
- Peak season in Colombo
The largest number of tourists visiting Colombo is during: December.
Figure: Visitor index for Colombo month by month
Best time for low prices in Colombo
Average prices of hotels in Colombo month by month
Generally, September is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Colombo. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, December is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Colombo
A return flight between London and Colombo is generally cheaper if you go in february ($ 795 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 300 more for your airline ticket to Colombo if you go in august.
Average price of hiring a car in Colombo
On average, it costs $ 12 per day to hire a car in Colombo. This price varies by $ 4.8 depending on the month. In april, hiring a car costs an average of $ 9.6 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in february is $ 15.