Best time to go to Reykjavik Average weather of Reykjavik, Iceland
Get the best time to visit Reykjavik in Iceland from average weather conditions on this page.
When is the best time to go to Reykjavik?
When is the best time to go to Reykjavik? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months in Reykjavik are July and August
- December is the coldest month of the year
- The rainiest months are January, February, March, September and October
Annual weather in Reykjavik
For full information about the climate and weather in Reykjavik a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||32°F/38°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in january|
|February||32°F/38°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in february|
|March||32°F/38°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in march|
|April||36°F/43°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in april|
|May||41°F/49°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in may|
|June||49°F/54°F||bad weather||Reykjavik in june|
|July||52°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Reykjavik in july|
|August||50°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Reykjavik in august|
|September||47°F/52°F||bad weather||Reykjavik in september|
|October||41°F/45°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in october|
|November||36°F/40°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in november|
|December||32°F/36°F||very bad weather||Reykjavik in december|
Weather and climate in Reykjavik
- Between the months of january and may the climate is very bad. The record temperature this month is 59°F and, in may, 7 days of rain are expected.
- In june the climate is not good. At lunchtime, it's 54°F in average and it rains about 17% of the time in june.
- From july to august the climate is okay. At lunchtime, it's 56°F in average and, in august, 7 days of rain are expected.
- In september the climate is unfavorable. The record temperature this month is 61°F.
- Between october and december the climate is very bad. By early evening, the temperature averages 32°F and, in december, 8 days of rain are expected.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Reykjavik
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Reykjavik: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Reykjavik
Find out when Reykjavik has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Reykjavik
- Very low season in Reykjavik
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: January, February, April, May and November.
- Low season in Reykjavik
The months with low numbers of tourists are: March, October and December.
- High season in Reykjavik
The number of visitors to Reykjavik is high in: June and September.
- Peek season in Reykjavik
The largest number of tourists visiting Reykjavik is during: July and August.
Figure: Visitor index for Reykjavik month by month
Best time for low prices in Reykjavik
Average prices of hotels in Reykjavik month by month
Generally, April is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Reykjavik. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, August is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Reykjavik
A return flight between London and Reykjavik is generally cheaper if you go in january ($ 114 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 66 more for your airline ticket to Reykjavik if you go in august.
Average price of hiring a car in Reykjavik
On average, it costs $ 49 per day to hire a car in Reykjavik. This price varies by $ 54 depending on the month. In april, hiring a car costs an average of $ 24 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in august is $ 78.