Best time to go to Akureyri Average weather of Akureyri, Iceland
Get the most favorable time to visit Akureyri in Iceland from seasonal norms, on this page.
When is the best time to go to Akureyri?
When is the best time to go to Akureyri? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The coldest months are January, February and December
- The rainiest months are September, October, November and December
Annual weather in Akureyri
For full information about the climate and weather in Akureyri a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||18°F/29°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in january|
|February||18°F/31°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in february|
|March||20°F/31°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in march|
|April||23°F/38°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in april|
|May||29°F/45°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in may|
|June||38°F/54°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in june|
|July||41°F/58°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in july|
|August||40°F/56°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in august|
|September||34°F/49°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in september|
|October||27°F/40°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in october|
|November||22°F/32°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in november|
|December||18°F/29°F||very bad weather||Akureyri in december|
Weather and climate in Akureyri
- Between the months of january and may the climate is the worst possible. By early evening, the temperature averages 43°F and it rains about 25% of the time in may.
- In the month of june the climate is bad. The temperature rises to 54°F and you can expect to have 4.1in of rainfall/month during this period.
- In the month of july the climate is correct. It is for example 58°F as maximum temperature in july and it rains about 6.1in each month.
- In august the climate is not good. At lunchtime, it's 45°F in average and it rains in august about 6.5in.
- Between the months of september and december the climate is the worst possible. The temperature rises to 29°F and you can expect to have 9.3in of rainfall/month during this period.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Akureyri
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Akureyri: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Akureyri
Find out when Akureyri has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Akureyri
- Very low season in Akureyri
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: January, February, March, April, November and December.
- Low season in Akureyri
The months with low numbers of tourists are: May, September and October.
- High season in Akureyri
The number of visitors to Akureyri is high in: June.
- Peek season in Akureyri
The largest number of tourists visiting Akureyri is during: July and August.
Figure: Visitor index for Akureyri month by month
Best time for low prices in Akureyri
Average prices of hotels in Akureyri month by month
Generally, March is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Akureyri. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, July is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price of hiring a car in Akureyri
On average, it costs $ 77 per day to hire a car in Akureyri. This price varies by $ 91 depending on the month. In may, hiring a car costs an average of $ 23 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in december is $ 114.