Best time to go to Wellington Average weather of Wellington, New Zealand
Find the most favorable time to go to Wellington in New Zealand from seasonal averages, on this page.
When is the best time to go to Wellington?
When is the best time to go to Wellington? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Wellington are January, February, March, April, November and December
- On average, the warmest months are January, February, March and December
- The coldest months are June, July, August and September
- The rainiest months are June and July
- February is the best month for swimming
Annual weather in Wellington
For full information about the climate and weather in Wellington a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||61°F/67°F||good weather||Wellington in january|
|February||61°F/67°F||good weather||Wellington in february|
|March||59°F/65°F||good weather||Wellington in march|
|April||58°F/63°F||good weather||Wellington in april|
|May||56°F/59°F||tolerable weather||Wellington in may|
|June||52°F/56°F||tolerable weather||Wellington in june|
|July||50°F/54°F||bad weather||Wellington in july|
|August||50°F/56°F||tolerable weather||Wellington in august|
|September||52°F/56°F||tolerable weather||Wellington in september|
|October||54°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Wellington in october|
|November||56°F/61°F||good weather||Wellington in november|
|December||59°F/65°F||good weather||Wellington in december|
Weather and climate in Wellington
- From january to april the climate is beautiful. In average, on the morning it is 58°F and it rains about 3in each month.
- Between the months of may and november the climate is correct. The record temperature this month is 68°F and it rains in november about 3in.
- In the month of december the climate is good. By early evening, the temperature averages 63°F.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Wellington
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Wellington: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Wellington
Find out when Wellington has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Wellington
- Very low season in Wellington
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: May, June and August.
- Low season in Wellington
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, February, April, July, September and October.
- High season in Wellington
The number of visitors to Wellington is high in: March and November.
- Peek season in Wellington
The largest number of tourists visiting Wellington is during: December.
Figure: Visitor index for Wellington month by month
Best time for low prices in Wellington
Average prices of hotels in Wellington month by month
Generally, May is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Wellington. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, February is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price of hiring a car in Wellington
On average, it costs $ 22 per day to hire a car in Wellington. This price varies by $ 22 depending on the month. In september, hiring a car costs an average of $ 12 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in march is $ 34.