Best time to go to Christchurch Average weather of Christchurch, New Zealand
Discover the perfect time to go to Christchurch in New Zealand from seasonal averages here.
When is the best time to go to Christchurch?
When is the best time to go to Christchurch? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Christchurch are January, February, March, April, November and December
- On average, the warmest months are January, February and December
- The coldest months are July and August
- The rainiest months are April, May, June, August and October
Annual weather in Christchurch
For full information about the climate and weather in Christchurch a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||56°F/72°F||good weather||Christchurch in january|
|February||56°F/72°F||good weather||Christchurch in february|
|March||52°F/68°F||good weather||Christchurch in march|
|April||50°F/63°F||good weather||Christchurch in april|
|May||47°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Christchurch in may|
|June||43°F/52°F||bad weather||Christchurch in june|
|July||41°F/52°F||very bad weather||Christchurch in july|
|August||43°F/54°F||bad weather||Christchurch in august|
|September||43°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Christchurch in september|
|October||45°F/61°F||tolerable weather||Christchurch in october|
|November||50°F/65°F||good weather||Christchurch in november|
|December||56°F/68°F||good weather||Christchurch in december|
Weather and climate in Christchurch
- Between january and april the climate is beautiful. It is for example 63°F as maximum temperature in april and it rains about 2.5in each month.
- In may the climate is passable, but still OK. In average, on the morning it is 47°F and it rains about 2.4in each month.
- In the month of june the climate is bad. the thermometer goes up to 52°F°C and you can expect to have 3in of rainfall/month during this period.
- In july the climate is the worst possible. By early evening, the temperature averages 45°F and, in july, 3 days of rain are expected.
- In august the climate is not good. In average, on the morning it is 43°F and you can expect to have 2.7in of rainfall/month during this period.
- Between the months of september and october the climate is passable, but still OK. The temperature rises to 61°F and it rains about 14% of the time in october.
- Between november and december the climate is beautiful. By early evening, the temperature averages 63°F and it rains about 2.1in each month.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Christchurch
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Christchurch: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Christchurch
Find out when Christchurch has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Christchurch
- Very low season in Christchurch
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: May, June, July and August.
- Low season in Christchurch
The months with low numbers of tourists are: April and September.
- High season in Christchurch
The number of visitors to Christchurch is high in: January, February, March, October and November.
- Peek season in Christchurch
The largest number of tourists visiting Christchurch is during: December.
Figure: Visitor index for Christchurch month by month
Best time for low prices in Christchurch
Average prices of hotels in Christchurch month by month
Generally, July is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Christchurch. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, November is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Christchurch
A return flight between London and Christchurch is generally cheaper if you go in may ($ 1462 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 826 more for your airline ticket to Christchurch if you go in december.
Average price of hiring a car in Christchurch
On average, it costs $ 23 per day to hire a car in Christchurch. This price varies by $ 6 depending on the month. In november, hiring a car costs an average of $ 18 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in february is $ 24.