Best time to go to Crete for a perfect weather and where to go?
Find the perfect time to go to Greece from average climate conditions in many locations like Matala or Réthymnon on this page.
When is the best time to go to Crete?
When is the best time to go to Crete? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- In Crete, the weather is good everywhere in March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October and November
- The best months to go to Heraklion are March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months in Heraklion are June, July, August and September, and the coldest months are January and February
- The cities with the best climate are Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos, Chania, Elounda, Gavdos Island, Gazi, Gouves, Ierapetra, Matala and Paléochora, with good weather at least 9 months a year
- August is the best month for swimming in Heraklion
For information about the climate and the weather city by city in Crete for a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||56°F to 58°F||
|February||56°F to 59°F||
|March||59°F to 61°F||
|April||63°F to 65°F||
|May||70°F to 72°F||
|June||76°F to 79°F||
|July||79°F to 83°F||
|August||79°F to 83°F||
|September||77°F to 79°F||
|October||70°F to 72°F||
|November||65°F to 67°F||
|December||58°F to 61°F||
|tolerable to good*|
Best time to travel to Crete by cities
The best months to go to Heraklion are march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, november and december.
The best months to go to Agios Nikolaos are march, april, may, june, july, august, september, october, november and december.
Temperatures and rainfall in Crete
On these 3 graphs, we present the evolution of temperatures of Crete and month-by-month rainfall for the cities of Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos, Chania, Elounda and Gavdos Island, as well as the month-by-month sea temperature for coastal cities.
Where to go in Crete?
This table allows you to see the maximum temperature for each city and our opinion on the weather month by month (see colour legend below the table).
Map of Crete
Click over cities for information about the weather.
What can I do in Crete?
Beaches / swimming
Nature and countryside
Culture and heritage
Crafts / shopping
Is this weather information for Crete reliable?
Climate data for Crete has been gathered every day since January 2009. The analysis of these meteorological data for Crete allows us to determine the average for each month in Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos, Chania, Elounda, Gavdos Island, Gazi, Gouves, Ierapetra, and 9 other cities.
So yes: this data is reliable except in cases of temporary climate disruption in the region.