Best time to go to Crete for a perfect weather and where to go?
Find the perfect time to go to Greece from average climate conditions in many locations like Matala or Réthymnon on this page.
When is the best time to go to Crete?
When is the best time to go to Crete? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- In Crete, the weather is good everywhere in April, May, June, July, August, September, October and November
- The best months to go to Heraklion are February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months in Heraklion are June, July, August and September, and the coldest months are January and February
- The rainiest months in this city are January and December
- The cities with the best climate are Heraklion, Chania, Agia Pelagia, Réthymnon, Agia Galini, Agios Nikolaos, Ano Rodakino, Anogia, Argyroupoli and Arkalochóri (Minóa Pediáda), with good weather at least 10 months a year
- August is the best month for swimming in Heraklion
Annual weather in Crete
For information about the climate and the weather city by city in Crete for a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||50°F to 59°F||tolerable weather|
|February||52°F to 61°F||tolerable weather*|
|March||54°F to 63°F||good weather*|
|April||59°F to 68°F||good weather|
|May||67°F to 76°F||perfect weather|
|June||72°F to 81°F||perfect weather|
|July||76°F to 86°F||perfect weather|
|August||76°F to 86°F||perfect weather|
|September||72°F to 83°F||perfect weather|
|October||67°F to 76°F||perfect weather*|
|November||59°F to 68°F||good weather|
|December||54°F to 63°F||good weather*|
Best time to travel to Crete by cities
Temperatures and rainfall in Crete
On these 3 graphs, we present the evolution of temperatures of Crete and month-by-month rainfall for the cities of Heraklion, Chania, Agia Pelagia, Réthymnon and Agia Galini, as well as the month-by-month sea temperature for coastal cities.
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Crete
Find out when Crete has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Crete
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, February, March, April, May, June, November and December. The number of visitors to Crete is high in: July, August, September and October.
- Very low season in Crete: January, February, March and November.
- Low season in Crete: April, May, June and December.
- High season in Crete: July, September and October.
- Peek season in Crete: August.
Figure: Visitor index for Crete month by month
Average price for flights to Crete
A return flight between London and Heraklion is generally cheaper if you go in september ($ 161 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 91 more for your airline ticket to Heraklion if you go in december.
Where to go in Crete?
This table allows you to see the maximum temperature for each city and our opinion on the weather month by month (see colour legend below the table).
|Arkalochóri (Minóa Pediáda)||58°F||59°F||61°F||67°F||74°F||81°F||86°F||86°F||83°F||76°F||68°F||61°F|
What can I do in Crete?
Beaches / swimming
Nature and countryside
Culture and heritage
Crafts / shopping