Best time to go to Melbourne Average weather of Melbourne, Australia
Discover the perfect time to go to Melbourne in Australia from seasonal averages below.
When is the best time to go to Melbourne?
When is the best time to go to Melbourne? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Melbourne are January, February, March, April, May, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months are January, February and December
- The coldest months are June, July and August
- The rainiest months are January, February, March, May, June, August, September, October, November and December
- The best months for swimming are January, February, March, April, May and December
Annual weather in Melbourne
For full information about the climate and weather in Melbourne a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||65°F/79°F||perfect weather||Melbourne in january|
|February||63°F/79°F||perfect weather||Melbourne in february|
|March||61°F/74°F||good weather||Melbourne in march|
|April||56°F/68°F||good weather||Melbourne in april|
|May||50°F/61°F||good weather||Melbourne in may|
|June||47°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Melbourne in june|
|July||47°F/56°F||tolerable weather||Melbourne in july|
|August||47°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Melbourne in august|
|September||49°F/61°F||tolerable weather||Melbourne in september|
|October||54°F/67°F||good weather||Melbourne in october|
|November||58°F/72°F||good weather||Melbourne in november|
|December||61°F/76°F||good weather||Melbourne in december|
Weather and climate in Melbourne
- In the month of january the climate is very good. At lunchtime, it's 77°F in average and you can expect to have 3in of rainfall/month during this period.
- From february to april the climate is beautiful. the thermometer goes up to 68°F°C and you can expect to have 2.6in of rainfall/month during this period.
- From may to august the climate is passable, but still OK. By early evening, the temperature averages 50°F and it rains about 22% of the time in august.
- From september to december the climate is beautiful. In average, on the morning it is 61°F and it rains about 15% of the time in december.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Melbourne
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Melbourne: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Melbourne
Find out when Melbourne has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Melbourne
- Very low season in Melbourne
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: April, May, June and July.
- Low season in Melbourne
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, February, March, August and September.
- High season in Melbourne
The number of visitors to Melbourne is high in: October and November.
- Peek season in Melbourne
The largest number of tourists visiting Melbourne is during: December.
Figure: Visitor index for Melbourne month by month
Best time for low prices in Melbourne
Average prices of hotels in Melbourne month by month
Generally, June is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Melbourne. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, March is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Melbourne
A return flight between London and Melbourne is generally cheaper if you go in november ($ 1118 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 374 more for your airline ticket to Melbourne if you go in december.
Average price of hiring a car in Melbourne
On average, it costs $ 21 per day to hire a car in Melbourne. This price varies by $ 15 depending on the month. In september, hiring a car costs an average of $ 15 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in april is $ 29.