Best time to go to Kathmandu Average weather of Kathmandu, Nepal
Find the best time to visit Kathmandu in Nepal from seasonal norms, here.
When is the best time to go to Kathmandu?
When is the best time to go to Kathmandu? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Kathmandu are January, February, March, April, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months are April, May, June, July and August
- January is the coldest month of the year
- The rainiest months are July and August
For full information about the climate and weather in Kathmandu a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|good weather||Kathmandu in january|
|good weather||Kathmandu in february|
|perfect weather||Kathmandu in march|
|good weather||Kathmandu in april|
|tolerable weather||Kathmandu in may|
|tolerable weather||Kathmandu in june|
|very bad weather||Kathmandu in july|
|very bad weather||Kathmandu in august|
|tolerable weather||Kathmandu in september|
|good weather||Kathmandu in october|
|good weather||Kathmandu in november|
|good weather||Kathmandu in december|
Weather and climate in Kathmandu
About the climate
With a clear weather, fairly gentle ambient temperatures and episodic rains, the dry season is the best time to visit Kathmandu as well as the surrounding areas such as northern India. If most of the time, the capital of Nepal experiences sunny days and comfortable temperatures, the city faces a rainy season from April to September with very dense showers. In fact, the climate of Kathmandu is influenced by the summer monsoon during the wet season.
The Dry Season in Kathmandu
Characterized by a fresher temperature and less precipitation, the dry season in Kathmandu corresponds to the period from November to March. In November, the weather gradually cools before reaching winter temperatures in January and by February, a gradual warming of the atmosphere favors a more pleasant and warm weather. Unlike Nepalganj where the heat is suffocating, the weather in Kathmandu is particularly favorable in March, with an ideal temperature and a clear sky throughout the month.
The Wet Season in Kathmandu
Under the influence of the monsoon, the wet season in Kathmandu is characterized by the presence of torrential rains that are further accompanied by a heat wave. This phenomenon is also characteristic of the city of New Delhi in India. Thus, from May onwards, daytime environments experience a sharp increase in temperature while intense rain follows the sunshine towards the end of the day. The climate of Kathmandu becomes very unfavorable during the months of June, August and September but it is possible to find a sunny and pleasant weather starting in October.
The month-by-month climate
- Between the months of january and february the climate is beautiful. The temperature rises to 70°F.
- In the month of march the climate is perfect. At lunchtime, it's 76°F in average.
- In april the climate is good. In average, on the morning it is 63°F and it rains in april about 4.8in.
- In the month of may the climate is okay. By early evening, the temperature averages 77°F and, in may, 24 days of rain are expected.
- In june the climate is bad. It is for example 85°F as maximum temperature in june and, in june, 27 days of rain are expected.
- From july to september the climate is very unfavorable. It is for example 77°F as maximum temperature in september.
- From october to december the climate is favorable. It is for example 65°F as maximum temperature in december and you can expect to have 0.6in of rainfall/month during this period.
Tours and organised trips in Nepal
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Kathmandu
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Kathmandu: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Nepal: get the best price!
Map of Nepal
Kathmandu appears on the map below with a blue icon. The other cities or locations in Nepal appear on the map with a black icon. Click for information about the climate.
Recommended for you:
Key cities in Nepal
© 2014-2020 Des Clics Nomades SAS - All right reserved