Best time to go to Cancun Average weather of Cancun, Mexico
Discover the most favorable time to visit Cancun in Mexico from seasonal norms, here.
When is the best time to go to Cancun?
The city of Cancun, along the Riviera Maya, is particularly welcoming during the dry season which lasts from November to around April or May. However, it is ready for tourists and holidays in the sun all year round. Throughout the dry season, Cancun is accented with cultural events that make it even more attractive such as Christmas time, which attracts crowds of vacationers as well as New Year's and Easter, which are very popular events with American students. Cancun is always very lively. During the wet season, rainfalls occur more often and the times allotted for outdoor excursions are rather limited. However, for those looking to combine tranquility with affordable prices, the rainy season - which also coincides with the low tourist season of September and October - is the one that allows for a pleasant holiday at the lowest cost. The beaches are relatively deserted and staff is both highly available and charming before the start of the high season.
So, when is the best time to go to Cancun? Here's some more information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Cancun are January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months are April, May, June, July, August, September and October
- The rainiest months are May, June, September and October
- The best months for swimming are April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
For full information about the climate and weather in Cancun a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|good weather||Cancun in january|
|good weather||Cancun in february|
|good weather||Cancun in march|
|good weather||Cancun in april|
|good weather||Cancun in may|
|good weather||Cancun in june|
|good weather||Cancun in july|
|good weather||Cancun in august|
|tolerable weather||Cancun in september|
|good weather||Cancun in october|
|good weather||Cancun in november|
|good weather||Cancun in december|
Weather and climate in Cancun
About the climate
Located in the Yucatan region of Mexico, the city of Cancun benefits from a tropical climate along with a dry season and two major weather periods throughout the year. The weather is relatively nice, much resembling that of the neighboring countries, the US or Belize.
The Cancun Dry Season
The dry season in Cancun extends from the month of November to that of May, with relatively little rainfall and mild or warm temperatures throughout the entire period. However in certain areas, the proximity of the sea helps attenuate the sensation of heat, as it does in Tampico for example. In fact, heat is less oppressive than inland, such as in Mexico. The sky is sunny and the sea offers an ideal temperature for swimming. The temperature difference with the wet season is barely noticeable although slightly cooler, especially between December and February.
The Cancun Climate During the Wet Season
The Cancun climate during the wet season, which runs between the months of June and October, is marked by particularly high humidity. This season is also called the hurricane season, because it is not unusual for tropical storms to become hurricanes especially between September and October. This season is warmer than the dry season, particularly because of the high humidity that amplifies the overall suffocating feeling. The temperatures only rarely reach 30° C during this time of year.
The month-by-month climate
- From january to march the climate is beautiful. By early evening, the temperature averages 26°C and it rains in march about 33mm.
- In april the climate is perfect. By early evening, the temperature averages 27°C and it rains in april about 66mm.
- From may to june the climate is good. The record temperature this month is 35°C and it rains in june about 162mm.
- Between the months of july and september the climate is correct. the thermometer goes up to 32°C°C and it rains in september about 166mm.
- Between october and december the climate is favorable. It is for example 28°C as maximum temperature in december.
Tours and organised trips in Mexico
Chart: temperature and rainfall in Cancun
The chart below allows you to look at the following seasonal norms for the city of Cancun: minimum and maximum temperatures, and the monthly volume of precipitation for each month of the year.
Mexico: get the best price!
Map of Mexico
Cancun appears on the map below with a blue icon. The other cities or locations in Mexico appear on the map with a black icon. Click for information about the climate.
Recommended for you:
Key cities in Mexico
© 2014-2019 Des Clics Nomades SAS - All right reserved