Best time to go to Tonga for a perfect weather and where to go?
Discover the perfect time to visit Tonga from average climate conditions in many locations like Haʻapai islands (Lifuka and Foa) or Vavaʻu island right here.
When is the best time to go to Tonga?
When is the best time to go to Tonga? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- In Tonga, the weather is good everywhere in June, July, August and September
- The best months to go to Nukuʻalofa are April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months in Nukuʻalofa are January, February, March, April, May and December
- The rainiest months in this city are January, February and March
- The cities with the best climate are Nukuʻalofa, Haʻapai islands (Lifuka and Foa) and Tongatapu Island, with good weather at least 9 months a year
- The best months for swimming in Nukuʻalofa are January, February, March, April, May and December
Annual weather in Tonga
For information about the climate and the weather city by city in Tonga for a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||81°F to 85°F||tolerable weather*|
|February||81°F to 85°F||tolerable weather*|
|March||81°F to 85°F||tolerable weather|
|April||79°F to 85°F||good weather*|
|May||77°F to 83°F||good weather*|
|June||76°F to 83°F||good weather|
|July||74°F to 81°F||good weather|
|August||72°F to 81°F||good weather|
|September||74°F to 81°F||good weather|
|October||74°F to 83°F||good weather*|
|November||76°F to 83°F||good weather*|
|December||77°F to 85°F||good weather*|
Best time to travel to Tonga by cities
Temperatures and rainfall in Tonga
On these 3 graphs, we present the evolution of temperatures of Tonga and month-by-month rainfall for the cities of Nukuʻalofa, Haʻapai islands (Lifuka and Foa), Niuafoʻou (Niuas islands), Tongatapu Island and Vavaʻu island, as well as the month-by-month sea temperature for coastal cities.
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Tonga
Find out when Tonga has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Tonga
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, February, March, April and May. The number of visitors to Tonga is high in: June, July, August, September, October, November and December.
- Very low season in Tonga: February and March.
- Low season in Tonga: January, April and May.
- High season in Tonga: June, August and December.
- Peak season in Tonga: July, September, October and November.
Figure: Visitor index for Tonga month by month
Average price for flights to Tonga
A return flight between Sydney and Nukuʻalofa is generally cheaper if you go in march ($ 549 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 343 more for your airline ticket to Nukuʻalofa if you go in december.
Where to go in Tonga?
This table allows you to see the maximum temperature for each city and our opinion on the weather month by month (see colour legend below the table).
|Haʻapai islands (Lifuka and Foa)||83°F||83°F||83°F||81°F||79°F||79°F||77°F||76°F||77°F||77°F||79°F||81°F|
|Niuafoʻou (Niuas islands)||85°F||85°F||85°F||85°F||83°F||83°F||81°F||81°F||81°F||83°F||83°F||85°F|
very bad weather
What can I do in Tonga?
Beaches / swimming
Nature and countryside
Culture and heritage
Crafts / shopping