Best time to go to Portugal for a perfect weather and where to go?
Discover the best time to visit Portugal from seasonal averages in many locations like Porto or Sintra below.
When is the best time to go to Portugal?
When is the best time to go to Portugal? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- In Portugal, the weather is good everywhere in May, June, July, August, September and October
- The best months to go to Lisbon are February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months in Lisbon are July, August and September, and the coldest months are January, February, March and December
- The rainiest months in this city are October, November and December
- The cities with the best climate are Lisbon, Albufeira, Cascais, Faro (Algarve), Lagos, Portimao, Sintra, Costa da Caparica, Altura and Colares, with good weather at least 11 months a year
- The best months for swimming in Lisbon are May, June, July, August, September, October and November
Annual weather in Portugal
For information about the climate and the weather city by city in Portugal for a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||34°F to 61°F||tolerable weather*|
|February||34°F to 61°F||tolerable weather*|
|March||36°F to 67°F||good weather*|
|April||40°F to 70°F||good weather*|
|May||45°F to 79°F||good weather*|
|June||52°F to 88°F||perfect weather*|
|July||54°F to 95°F||perfect weather|
|August||54°F to 97°F||perfect weather|
|September||50°F to 88°F||perfect weather*|
|October||47°F to 79°F||perfect weather*|
|November||40°F to 67°F||good weather*|
|December||36°F to 63°F||good weather*|
Best time to travel to Portugal by cities
Temperatures and rainfall in Portugal
On these 3 graphs, we present the evolution of temperatures of Portugal and month-by-month rainfall for the cities of Lisbon, Albufeira, Aveiro, Cascais and Faro (Algarve), as well as the month-by-month sea temperature for coastal cities.
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Portugal
Find out when Portugal has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Portugal
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, February, March, April, May, November and December. The number of visitors to Portugal is high in: June, July, August, September and October.
- Very low season in Portugal: January, February, March, November and December.
- Low season in Portugal: April and May.
- High season in Portugal: June, September and October.
- Peek season in Portugal: July and August.
Figure: Visitor index for Portugal month by month
Average price for flights to Portugal
A return flight between London and Lisbon is generally cheaper if you go in january ($ 65 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 70 more for your airline ticket to Lisbon if you go in august.
Where to go in Portugal?
This table allows you to see the maximum temperature for each city and our opinion on the weather month by month (see colour legend below the table).
|Viana do Castelo||56°F||58°F||61°F||63°F||67°F||70°F||74°F||76°F||74°F||70°F||61°F||58°F|
|Costa da Caparica||59°F||61°F||63°F||65°F||70°F||74°F||76°F||77°F||77°F||74°F||67°F||63°F|
|Praia de Mira||58°F||59°F||63°F||67°F||72°F||77°F||81°F||83°F||81°F||74°F||63°F||59°F|
very bad weather
What can I do in Portugal?
Beaches / swimming
Nature and countryside
Culture and heritage
Crafts / shopping