Best time to go to Chennai Average weather of Chennai, India
Find the perfect time to go to Chennai in India from average weather conditions, on this page.
When is the best time to go to Chennai?
When is the best time to go to Chennai? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Chennai are January, February, March, April, July, August and December
- On average, the warmest months are April, May, June, July, August and September
- November is the rainiest month
- The sea temperature is suitable for swimming all year round
Annual weather in Chennai
For full information about the climate and weather in Chennai a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||79°F/83°F||perfect weather||Chennai in january|
|February||79°F/85°F||perfect weather||Chennai in february|
|March||83°F/88°F||perfect weather||Chennai in march|
|April||86°F/92°F||good weather||Chennai in april|
|May||90°F/95°F||tolerable weather||Chennai in may|
|June||88°F/94°F||tolerable weather||Chennai in june|
|July||86°F/92°F||good weather||Chennai in july|
|August||86°F/92°F||good weather||Chennai in august|
|September||85°F/90°F||tolerable weather||Chennai in september|
|October||85°F/88°F||tolerable weather||Chennai in october|
|November||81°F/85°F||tolerable weather||Chennai in november|
|December||79°F/83°F||good weather||Chennai in december|
Weather and climate in Chennai
- Between january and february the climate is very good. In average, on the morning it is 79°F and it rains in february about 0.7in.
- In march the climate is favorable. The temperature rises to 88°F and it rains about 1% of the time in march.
- In april the climate is bad. The record temperature this month is 99°F and it rains about 0.8in each month.
- In may the climate is the worst possible. In average, on the morning it is 90°F and you can expect to have 2.7in of rainfall/month during this period.
- Between june and september the climate is not good. The temperature rises to 90°F and it rains about 50% of the time in september.
- From october to november the climate is passable, but still OK. By early evening, the temperature averages 81°F and it rains about 18.9in each month.
- In december the climate is beautiful. In average, on the morning it is 79°F and it rains about 9.1in each month.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Chennai
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Chennai: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Chennai
Find out when Chennai has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Chennai
- Very low season in Chennai
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: February, March, April, May and September.
- Low season in Chennai
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, June, October and November.
- High season in Chennai
The number of visitors to Chennai is high in: July and August.
- Peek season in Chennai
The largest number of tourists visiting Chennai is during: December.
Figure: Visitor index for Chennai month by month
Best time for low prices in Chennai
Average prices of hotels in Chennai month by month
Generally, March is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Chennai. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, August is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Chennai
A return flight between London and Chennai is generally cheaper if you go in november ($ 652 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 292 more for your airline ticket to Chennai if you go in august.