Best time to go to Edinburgh Average weather of Edinburgh, Scotland
Discover the best time to visit Edinburgh in Scotland from seasonal averages, below.
When is the best time to go to Edinburgh?
When is the best time to go to Edinburgh? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months in Edinburgh are May, June, July, August, September and October
- On average, the warmest months are June, July and August
- The coldest months are January and February
- The rainiest months are June, July and August
Annual weather in Edinburgh
For full information about the climate and weather in Edinburgh a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||38°F/43°F||very bad weather||Edinburgh in january|
|February||38°F/45°F||very bad weather||Edinburgh in february|
|March||40°F/49°F||very bad weather||Edinburgh in march|
|April||41°F/52°F||very bad weather||Edinburgh in april|
|May||49°F/58°F||tolerable weather||Edinburgh in may|
|June||54°F/63°F||tolerable weather||Edinburgh in june|
|July||56°F/65°F||tolerable weather||Edinburgh in july|
|August||54°F/65°F||tolerable weather||Edinburgh in august|
|September||50°F/61°F||tolerable weather||Edinburgh in september|
|October||49°F/56°F||tolerable weather||Edinburgh in october|
|November||43°F/49°F||bad weather||Edinburgh in november|
|December||40°F/45°F||very bad weather||Edinburgh in december|
Weather and climate in Edinburgh
- Between the months of january and april the climate is very bad. The record temperature this month is 68°F and you can expect to have 2.4in of rainfall/month during this period.
- Between the months of may and september the climate is just OK. It is for example 61°F as maximum temperature in september and, in september, 5 days of rain are expected.
- From october to november the climate is unfavorable. The temperature rises to 49°F and it rains in november about 3.5in.
- In december the climate is the worst possible. It is for example 45°F as maximum temperature in december and you can expect to have 3.5in of rainfall/month during this period.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Edinburgh
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Edinburgh: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Edinburgh
Find out when Edinburgh has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Edinburgh
- Very low season in Edinburgh
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: January, February and March.
- Low season in Edinburgh
The months with low numbers of tourists are: April and November.
- High season in Edinburgh
The number of visitors to Edinburgh is high in: May, June, July, September, October and December.
- Peak season in Edinburgh
The largest number of tourists visiting Edinburgh is during: August.
Figure: Visitor index for Edinburgh month by month
Best time for low prices in Edinburgh
Average prices of hotels in Edinburgh month by month
Generally, January is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Edinburgh. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, August is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Find the best price for your hotel room
Average price for flights to Edinburgh
A return flight between London and Edinburgh is generally cheaper if you go in january ($ 63 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 42 more for your airline ticket to Edinburgh if you go in july.
Find the best price for your flight
Average price of hiring a car in Edinburgh
On average, it costs $ 29 per day to hire a car in Edinburgh. This price varies by $ 21 depending on the month. In march, hiring a car costs an average of $ 18 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in july is $ 39.