Best time to go to Cairns Average weather of Cairns, Australia
Get the very best time to visit Cairns in Australia from seasonal norms, right here.
When is the best time to go to Cairns?
When is the best time to go to Cairns? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The best months for good weather in Cairns are April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December
- On average, the warmest months are January, February, March, April, October, November and December
- The rainiest months are January and February
- The best months for swimming are January, February, March, April, May, October, November and December
Annual weather in Cairns
For full information about the climate and weather in Cairns a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||79°F/86°F||tolerable weather||Cairns in january|
|February||79°F/88°F||tolerable weather||Cairns in february|
|March||77°F/86°F||tolerable weather||Cairns in march|
|April||74°F/83°F||good weather||Cairns in april|
|May||70°F/79°F||good weather||Cairns in may|
|June||68°F/77°F||good weather||Cairns in june|
|July||67°F/77°F||good weather||Cairns in july|
|August||67°F/77°F||perfect weather||Cairns in august|
|September||70°F/81°F||perfect weather||Cairns in september|
|October||76°F/85°F||perfect weather||Cairns in october|
|November||77°F/86°F||perfect weather||Cairns in november|
|December||79°F/88°F||good weather||Cairns in december|
Weather and climate in Cairns
- Between january and march the climate is not good, but still OK. It is for example 86°F as maximum temperature in march and you can expect to have 10in of rainfall/month during this period.
- From april to july the climate is beautiful. the thermometer goes up to 77°F°C and you can expect to have 1.3in of rainfall/month during this period.
- Between august and october the climate is perfect. The record temperature this month is 94°F and it rains in october about 2in.
- From november to december the climate is good. In average, on the morning it is 79°F and it rains about 23% of the time in december.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Cairns
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Cairns: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, sea temperature, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Cairns
Find out when Cairns has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Cairns
- Very low season in Cairns
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: March and May.
- Low season in Cairns
The months with low numbers of tourists are: January, February, April, June and November.
- High season in Cairns
The number of visitors to Cairns is high in: October and December.
- Peek season in Cairns
The largest number of tourists visiting Cairns is during: July, August and September.
Figure: Visitor index for Cairns month by month
Best time for low prices in Cairns
Average prices of hotels in Cairns month by month
Generally, January is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Cairns. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, July is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Cairns
A return flight between Sydney and Cairns is generally cheaper if you go in may ($ 174 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 45 more for your airline ticket to Cairns if you go in december.
Average price of hiring a car in Cairns
On average, it costs $ 28 per day to hire a car in Cairns. This price varies by $ 22 depending on the month. In september, hiring a car costs an average of $ 20 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in april is $ 41.