Best time to go to Johannesburg Average weather of Johannesburg, South Africa
Find the most favorable time to go to Johannesburg in South Africa from average weather conditions, right here.
When is the best time to go to Johannesburg?
When is the best time to go to Johannesburg? Here's some information to help you in your decision:
- The weather is good all year round in Johannesburg
- On average, the warmest months are January, February, March, September, October, November and December
- Johannesburg has dry periods in June, July and August
- The coldest months are June and July
- The rainiest months are January and December
Annual weather in Johannesburg
For full information about the climate and weather in Johannesburg a specific month, click on the corresponding line below:
|Month||Our opinion||View Details|
|January||70°F/85°F||good weather||Johannesburg in january|
|February||68°F/83°F||good weather||Johannesburg in february|
|March||67°F/81°F||good weather||Johannesburg in march|
|April||63°F/76°F||perfect weather||Johannesburg in april|
|May||59°F/74°F||perfect weather||Johannesburg in may|
|June||52°F/67°F||good weather||Johannesburg in june|
|July||50°F/67°F||good weather||Johannesburg in july|
|August||58°F/74°F||perfect weather||Johannesburg in august|
|September||65°F/81°F||perfect weather||Johannesburg in september|
|October||68°F/83°F||good weather||Johannesburg in october|
|November||70°F/83°F||good weather||Johannesburg in november|
|December||72°F/83°F||good weather||Johannesburg in december|
Weather and climate in Johannesburg
- Between the months of january and february the climate is passable, but still OK. The temperature rises to 83°F and, in february, 9 days of rain are expected.
- From march to august the climate is beautiful. The record temperature this month is 88°F and it rains about 1% of the time in august.
- In the month of september the climate is very good. The record temperature this month is 97°F and it rains about 4% of the time in september.
- Between october and november the climate is favorable. The record temperature this month is 97°F and it rains in november about 5.3in.
- In december the climate is not good, but still OK. At lunchtime, it's 83°F in average and you can expect to have 6.5in of rainfall/month during this period.
Charts: temperature and rainfall in Johannesburg
In the charts below, you can see the following seasonal norms for the city of Johannesburg: the minimum and maximum outdoor temperature, the risk and amount of monthly rainfall, daily average sunshine, and relative humidity for each month of the year.
Daily sunshine hours
Peak visitor numbers and tourist seasons in Johannesburg
Find out when Johannesburg has its high tourist season (the period when the influx of tourists is highest) and off-peak tourist season using our data and figures.
Tourist seasons in Johannesburg
- Very low season in Johannesburg
The months with the lowest number of tourists are: January, February and June.
- Low season in Johannesburg
The months with low numbers of tourists are: March, April, May and July.
- High season in Johannesburg
The number of visitors to Johannesburg is high in: August, September, October and November.
- Peek season in Johannesburg
The largest number of tourists visiting Johannesburg is during: December.
Figure: Visitor index for Johannesburg month by month
Best time for low prices in Johannesburg
Average prices of hotels in Johannesburg month by month
Generally, June is the month with the lowest hotel prices in Johannesburg. So this is a great time to save on your holiday! In contrast, November is statistically the most expensive month of the year for hotels.
Average price for flights to Johannesburg
A return flight between London and Johannesburg is generally cheaper if you go in march ($ 610 on average): this is the best time for travellers on a tight budget. In contrast, you may end up paying $ 237 more for your airline ticket to Johannesburg if you go in august.
Average price of hiring a car in Johannesburg
On average, it costs $ 16 per day to hire a car in Johannesburg. This price varies by $ 4.8 depending on the month. In january, hiring a car costs an average of $ 12 per 24 hours, so this is the best time to save money! In contrast, the average price in august is $ 17.